Monday, May 24, 2010

Olde Yorke Fish & Chips

There are plenty 'o fish in the sea but the ones that end up on the plates at Olde Yorke Fish & Chips are just a joy to be had, or in this case, haddock. Oh gosh, I think the punster that is Vivek is starting to rub off on me.

I finally made the pilgrimage to Olde Yorke and it was most definitely worth the effort. Shari M, my fellow meat diva and I continued on our travels to find the city's best fish and chips and I'm pretty sure we've hit the right fishing spot on Laird Avenue. OY has a really comfortable vibe about it and this is the sort of place my Mother would have absolutely loved. Cozy surroundings, straight up simple comfort food and nasty assed desserts, what more does a girl possibly need? Throw in the fact I can have a glass of the vino with my food and I'm as happy as a clam, or in this case, a clam strip.

I had the clam strips and they were great. A big, crispy pile of deep fried clams that were not remotely oily sided with a heaping mountain of golden hot chips, coleslaw and clam dipping sauce. Shari had herself a big honking hunk of fish that was so crispy when she cut in to it I could hear the crunch. Now this is the way fish and chips were meant to be.

To finish off the fish gluttony we shared a deep fried Mars bar for dessert. It was just downright ooey gooey nastiness. I had a bite and that was it for me. I lived the rest of that dessert adventure vicariously through Shari's best imitation of Sally's moment in the deli with Harry. It was food orgasms all around. (see the pics)

Dessert aside, if you are in the market for some serious fish and chips then this is the spot for you. We shall continue on our finding Nemo quest but I'm pretty sure in the end we'll both agree that the OY is absolutely one of the best, if not the best, fish and chip destination in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment