Sunday, May 23, 2010

W Burger Bar

Hostess: Good evening.
Me: Good evening.
Hostess: Do you have a reservation?
Me: A reservation?
Hostess: Yes, a reservation.
Me: You serve burgers here. I need a reservation to get a burger?
WTF? This ain't the Rosewater Supper Club. This is the first time I've ever been asked if I had a reservation for a burger. Damn, this place better have some great meat for this much attitude.

Ok, let's get this out in the open right off the bat. The W Burger Bar, all slick and tres mod is really just a jacked up burger version of Hooters a la beef. Now I see why all the previous guy reviewers like the wait staff. This is eye candy central here.

It was a busy, noisy Friday night when the girls who love to eat the meat, Shari M. and myself met up with Kat D. to celebrate my Decemburger victory. So I figured since this was all about the burgers then I should be going for the Ferrari of burgers....the big Kahuna....the Kobe Burger. So much expectations on my part. Such a big let down.

Our waitress, who appeared to be one Red Bull over the line, could do the speed dial routine on our order but seemed to take for ever to get a drink for anyone from the bar. When I first arrived I ordered the signature cocktail, The W. which is actually really refreshing and not cloying at all. (Vodka, Sloe Gin, Lime and sparkling grapefruit juice) I order....and 15 minutes later the waitress apologizes for not delivering yet because the bartender is totally swamped. The very same thing happens again to Shari...after a long wait for her libation it's the same old song from the waitress. Apologies and tells us the barkeep is super busy. Yet the table behind us sits down and the manager comes running over with a tray of shooters. Hmmmmm.

I order the Kobe burger and keep it simple because I want to taste the meat. Caramelized onions, mustard, relish, pickles. I said it before and I'll say it again, don't eff up Momma's burger. They completely missed the onions. While taking our order I suggest to Shari that we share some fries and Shari suggests we share Poutine instead. I say ok, I'll go for that. The waitress, on auto pilot and speed dial, for whatever reason brings us both poutine and the fries. Huh?

As for my Kobe burger it was bland. Kobe meat doesn't need much to give it flavour. Initially on the first bite it was tasty but that waned quickly. This was definitely a knock off Kobe burger and for this they charge $18.95. Steep price for sub standard meat. I've had Kobe before and it has a very distinct flavour but this burger was null and void of any flavour.

Meanwhile the table behind us gets their pitchers of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer minutes after ordering and Shari still waits upon her cocktail. Service is whacked. Totally inconsistent. It even took Kat practically waving her credit card to get the bill. Sure makes me glad that I didn't make a reservation at this place. We even had to ask for cutlery after she brought the food.

Whatever. The evening was saved by the great company and a nightcap of coffee and pie at our favorite Pie shrine out in the Beaches. Thanks Tim for saving the night for us. We got more attention from Campbell the dog then we did from our waitress at W Burger Bar and we didn't even have a reservation at the Pie Shack.

W Burger Bar - Two and a half stars and that was for the cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment